My task done, I started looking at the work of others, to see what wonderful things they'd done, only to find to my horror, that the stitch everyone else was doing wasn't the one that I'd done. Gasp!
I must have misunderstood the videos I was watching! I found them again, watched them again, compared them to what I'd done and they were the pretty much the same. Then I looked at the examples by Sharon, and what I did wasn't the same. Sigh. If I'm going to believe anyone, I'm going to believe Sharon. I've seen her work. It's incredible. So, the internet lies!
I searched and finally found a video that showed a result like what Sharon's examples were, and did a different seam (upper right in photo above). Then I looked at more of what others had done, and found some that looked like what I'd done in the first place (bottom right in the photo above)!
| Lying Internet Feather Stitch |
So, what I learned this week so far is that I need to finish this block and get started on another one, because I've only got one seam left to play with, now, because of the lying internet. I'm not good enough to wander all over the block, so for now I'm sticking to just the seams, Ma'am, just the seams. And the internet either lies or enjoys being confusing sometimes. And I need to get better at reading stitch instructions.


LOL Susan, I'll always remember the Lying Internet Feather Stitch, too now! I am pretty sure your pink seam is the single feather stitch. The lower one looks like what would happen if you messed with the 4 guidelines: bringing the two center ones on top of each other. I sure like it as a narrower version of feather stitch!
ReplyDeleteHappy Stitching! Gail
Well, I must be really bad at this, then, because the pink in the upper left is the buttonhole stitch with a backwards angle, as my little artistic attempt for that stitch. That said, when I looked at the other stitches that are part of the buttonhole family, it turns out what I did for the buttonhole stitch is actually some other stitch. So I'm just making them up as I go along, apparently.
DeleteI had trouble with this too. I think one is like a technically correct version and the other more of an interpretation. I had trouble with the 'technical' one, I did a version of blanket stitch like described, but when I looked at everyone elses, it was more like fly stitch, so I tried that and found it much easier. Both of yours are nicely done.
ReplyDeleteMaking 'em as you go works just fine ... did you see all the different ways to stitch a feather? Seriously, both of yours fit right in there.
ReplyDelete