15 January 2012

Button it up!

I'm still loving the TAST challenge, but this second week was also a challenge of finding time to button this one up! Finally, tonight, I just did a simple alternate short and long angled blanket stitch on the crazy quilt block that was also ignored this week.

I used three strands of regular embroidery floss, and when it was done, it just looked so plain,
and the thread color was so close to the color of the adjoining fabric, that I ran a twist of a slightly darker and heavier embroidery thread around the bottom stitches, and I like it!

What I had in my head was something looking like the Golden Gate bridge out of the buttonhole stitch and fly stitches, but the colors would have been wrong for this block, and then there was also the time thing.

What I learned this week is that I'm still really bad at doing consistent stitches, so I drew some lines on the fabric to help. I also learned to pull the tailing thread to where I thought I'd put my next stitch to see what it looked like, before actually taking the stitch, and that helped, also. And I need to get some kind of finer marking pencil. The one I have is too thick, and too difficult to get off the fabric so it doesn't show in the photos.

I had very little time to look at the work of others this week, which was the worst part for me, because I enjoy and am inspired by the creativity of others, so I'll try to do that this coming week!


5 comments:

  1. I like the slant look. Your work is very even. Pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Mary Thank you sooo much for the encouragement, Mary. I finally found some fabric to practice on that has rows I can count, which I think will help keep things more straight, also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your kind comment. I really like the slanted buttonhole stitch on you cq block. I think I will do that on the block I'm working on.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your slanted Buttonholes and they are very neat. I like whipping my stem stitch if it is loose.

    When you get a little spare time, why Not doodle your Golden Gate bridge. You may then wish to show in on your blog.
    I'd love to see it. :-)

    Thank you for leaving a comment on my work today. It is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found some fabric in my stash that might help with doing the Golden Gate, so I may just try it.

      Delete

Thank you sooo much for your comment!